En-en adult card 7 co2 emissions
Card #7: CO2 Emissions
CO2 (or carbon dioxide) is the first anthropogenic (ie linked to human activity) greenhouse gas in terms of emissions.
These emissions come from our use of fossil fuels and deforestation.
- Deforestation emits CO2 because a large proportion of deforestation caused by man is achieved by burning the forests.
- Fossil fuels Coal, oil and natural gas emit CO2 during combustion.
- [En-en adult card 5 fossil fuels|Fossil fuels]]
- [En-en adult card 6 deforestation|Deforestation]]
- [En-en adult card 12 carbon sinks|Carbon sinks]]
Current energy mix
The global energy mix is 85% dependent on fossil fuels and today renewable energy sources tend to add capacity rather than replace fossil fuels.
In France in 2018, the final energy consumption (at consumer level) split by primary energy source was as follows:
- Fossil fuels: 67.4% (coal 1.9%, oil 44.0%, natural gas 21.5%)
- nuclear: 17.7%
- renewables: 14.9% (biomass-waste 9.8%, hydropower 3.0%, wind 1.2%, solar 0.5% (mainly photovoltaic), other 0.3%).